In 1945, after World War II ended, Rev. Fr. Anthony Leo Hofstee, O.P. was assigned Army Chaplain of the American soldiers stationed in the Philippines. In 1953, the construction of the Tala-Barracks church was made possible through his initiative. Fr. Hofstee requested Dr. Leandro Uyguanco, then the Director of the Central Luzon Sanitarium (now Dr. Jose N. Rodriguez Memorial Hospital), to donate a portion of the hospital lot where a chapel could be built. At that time, people who lived outside the premises of the leprosarium had to go inside to hear Mass.
From the Americans assigned in Subic, Zambales, Fr. Hofstee requested for construction materials which were used to build housing units called “quonset huts”. He was given materials for 15 units. These were used for the construction of the Tala-Barracks church. The maintenance and upkeep of the Church were made through the joint efforts of Fr. Hofstee and the staff of the Sanitarium.
The Franciscan Misssionaries of Mary (FMM) and the Franciscan Fathers (OFM) from the Our Lady of Angels Seminary in Novaliches were requested to assist in the church activities especially in the celebration of the Mass and dispensation of the sacraments during Lent and the Advent Season.
Following a consensus by the Parish Pastoral Council, the Church was dedicated to the patronage of St. Joseph The Worker. The PPC chose the Parish Feast Day to be celebrated on May 1.
When the Ascension of Our Lord Parish (AOLP) in Lagro was established with Fr. Walter de Vilder, CICM as its first Parish Priest under the jurisdiction of the Ecclesial District of Quezon City, the St. Joseph the Worker Church was placed under AOLP with 11 other Sub-Parishes in Caloocan City.
In February 1984, the Holy Cross Parish was established separating it as a sub-parish from the Ascension of Our Lord Parish. The St. Joseph the Worker Church was then put under the Holy Cross Parish together with eight other Sub-Parishes.
Under the auspices of Holy Cross Parish Acting Parish Priest Rev. Fr. Romeo M. Gaviño, SOLT, the Archdiocese of Manila finally decided to establish the St. Joseph the Worker Parish on November 12, 1997 in response to the growing needs and number of the Catholic population.
Rev. Fr. Miguel R. Rabino, SOLT became its first Parish Priest with Rev. Fr. Andres B. Baliwas, SOLT as Parochial Vicar. The Sub-Parishes entrusted to its pastoral care and guidance were those located in Malaria, Soldiers Hills Subdivision, NHC Village, LD, Sampaguita, and St. Joseph the Worker.
The Parish now runs a school which is currently administered by Fr. Aristeo M. De Leon as School Director and Rev. Christopher Morales as School Principal.
|St. Joseph Avenue , Barracks II, Tala 1427 Caloocan City||Rev. Fr. Aristeo M. De Leon||Holy Cross Vicariate|
|Contact Number||Feast Day||Date Established|
|871.0270, 961.1524(telefax)||May 1||November 9, 1997|
|Preceding Pastor||Parish Link|
|Rev. Fr. Rolyn B. Francisco|