History

The History of the Diocese of Novaliches is rich as that of our Country’s. The highlights in the Diocese’s history could be seen during the Country’s period of colonialization and also prior to the years leading to its actual establishment.

For easy reading, we’ve divided the history of the Diocese into separate pages in this website. Simply click the links below to begin reading:

Through the History of the Diocese, we hope parishioners would have an appreciation of the historical landmarks and improvements happening in the diocese. Landmarks like the historical marker along Tandang Sora Avenue installed in 1958 by the National Historical Institute to mark the site where Bonifacio and the revolutionaries held the first battle against the Spaniards.

Or the 160-year old duhat tree in Barangay Kaligayahan declared as “Katipunan Tree” by the National Historical Institute and the Tree Preservation Foundation of the Philippines, Inc. in memory of Melchora Aquino “aka” Tandang Sora and of the revolutionary society founded by Andres Bonifacio and the Centennial Tree declared by the National Government on 1998 during the first Centennial Celebration of the country’s independence from Spain.

This does not include the colorful history of how each parish and vicariate in the Diocese came into being. In fact, each parish church’s structure is a historical landmark in itself. The Shrine of Our Lady of Mercy in Novaliches Bayan, being the oldest parish in the Diocese with its establishment a year after the Novaliches was founded in 1856, holds in its confines the original bell it was made with in 1856.

(L) The Katipunan Tree in Barangay Kaligayahan; (R) The original bell of the Shrine of Our Lady of Mercy inscribed with “Ano 1856 Padre Andres Martin, Cura y Fundador de la Parroquia de Nuestra Senora de la Merced de Novaliches”
[Photo credit: (L) Google; (R) Roy De Guzman & Jolo-Tamayo.Blogspot.Com]