This team attains its full effectiveness by leading and uniting the faithful to come to the liturgical celebrations with full, conscious, and active participation in glorifying the Lord aimed at the sanctification of parishioners. Headed by its Worship Team Coordinator, it is composed of the following Worship ministries:
- Ministry of Distribution of Holy Communion
The Ministry of Distribution of Holy Communion…
- Is to distribute Holy Communion to the faithful (#100 General Instruction of the Roman Missal), when the Priest or Deacon are lacking, or when the number of faithful coming to Communion is so great that the very celebration of Mass would be unduly prolonged (#158 Redemptionis Sacramentum);
- Duly authorized and supervised by the Parish Priest, is also to distribute Holy Communion to those who are unable to come to Church, such as the sick, the elderly and the dying;
- Is to participate in the various activities in the parish, particularly formation programs aimed at enhancing his growth in the ministry.
- Ministry of Lectors and Commentators
The Ministry of Lectors and Commentators …
- The lector is to proclaim the readings from Sacred Scripture, with the exception of the Gospel. He may also announce the intentions for the Prayer of the Faithful and, in the absence of a psalmist, proclaim the Psalm between the readings (#99 GIRM);
- The commentator is to provide the faithful, when appropriate, with brief explanations and commentaries with the purpose of introducing them to the celebration of the Eucharist and preparing them to understand it better. The commentator’s remarks must be meticulously prepared and clear though brief. In performing this function the commentator stands in an appropriate place facing the faithful, but not at the ambo (#105 GIRM);
- Lectors and Commentators should be truly suited to perform their respective functions and should receive careful preparation, so that the faithful by listening to the readings from the sacred texts may develop in their hearts a warm and living love for Sacred Scripture (#101 GIRM);
- The Lectors and Commentators are to participate in the various activities in the parish, particularly those formation programs aimed at enhancing their growth in their ministry.
- Ministry of Liturgical Music
The Ministry of Liturgical Music…
- The Choir exercises its own liturgical function, ensuring that the parts proper to it, in keeping with the different types of chants, are properly carried out, and fostering the active participation of the faithful through the singing (#103 GIRM);
- There is to be a psalmist whose role is to sing the Psalm or other biblical canticle that comes between the readings. To fulfill this function correctly, it is necessary that the psalmist has an ability for singing and a facility in correct pronunciation and diction (#102 GIRM);
- It is fitting that there be a cantor or a choir director to lead and sustain the people’s singing. When in fact there is no choir, it is up to the cantor to lead the different chants, with the people taking part (#104 GIRM).
- Ministry of Altar Servers
The Ministry of Altar Servers…
- To serve at the altar and to assist the protest and the deacon (#98 GIRM);
- To be responsible for the preparation of the altar and the sacred vessels, and the articles for the celebration of the Holy Mass (#98 GIRM);
- May carry the cross, the candles, the thurible, the bread, the wine, and the water during the celebration of the Holy Mass (#100 GIRM);
- To participate in the various activities in the parish, particularly those formation programs aimed at enhancing their growth in their ministry.
- Ministry of Reception of Gifts (Ushers & Collectors)
The Ministry of Reception of Gifts…
- Collectors are to take up the collection in the church (#105 GIRM), particularly during the part of the Offertory;
- Usherettes or Greeters are to meet the faithful at the church entrance and lead them to appropriate places and direct processions (#105 GIRM);
- Collectors, Usherettes or Greeters are to participate in the various activities in the parish, particularly those formation programs aimed at enhancing their growth in their ministry.
- Ministry of Care for the Sanctuary and Sacristy (MBG)
The Ministry of Care for the Sanctuary and Sacristy…
- The Sacristan is to carefully arrange the liturgical books, the vestments, and other things necessary in the celebration of Mass (#105 GIRM);
- The Sacristan is to participate in the various activities in the parish, particularly those formation programs aimed at enhancing his growth in the ministry.